Tom G - Almost Missing in Action
Tom sent me his journal from the following little adventure. Luckily it all worked out
in the end. -jbs
- 7:00am Packed clothes for a couple of days and brushed my teeth.
- 8:00am Departed home for the local diner.
- 8:10am Had breakfast at the local diner and read the paper.
- 8:55am Departed the local Diner for Yosemite. Traveled I680 North to I580 East to I5
South to Patterson, CA. Got gas. Traveled SR33 South to SR140 East.
- 11:20am Arrived Mariposa, CA and continued on SR 140 to a small road marked on the
Thomas Bros. Map book. Continued on this road until there were no more road signs.
- 12:30pm Realized I was lost, and that I could no longer go back the way I came.
Continued to try various dirt/mud roads.
- 1:30pm Arrived at an isolated campsite and began to turn around.
- 2:00pm Realized I could not get unstuck from the mud by driving and tried to jack the
truck to put branches and other traction material under the tires. I gave myself 1 Hour to
move the truck or determine a plan for spending the night.
- 3:00pm Began assessing what materials I had for spending the night.
- 3:15pm Finished assessment and began preparing truck for sleepage. Had Cheeze Nips and
Junior Mints for dinner.
- 4:30pm As dark was falling, removed foodstuffs from truck and placed them in bags and
hoisted them high to keep the bears away.
- 5:15pm Crawled into the truck and got warm. Read by flashlight. Started the truck every
3 hours to prevent freezing the engine.
- 6:30am Crawled out of the truck and had Snickers Bar for breakfast. Attempted to move
the truck again with no luck.
- 8:00am Packed a knapsack and began walking out, following the tracks made by my truck's
wimpy tires. Made map of the route as I went on the back of an envelope. Attempted to use
cell phone every half-hour.
- 10:15am Received a good signal on the cell phone, but 911 call did not go through.
- 10:30am After 8 miles, I saw a couple in a 4x4 truck and waved them down. They offered
to pull my truck out and we drove back using my map.
- 11:30am We got my truck out and began traveling back to the intersection where we met.
- 12:15pm Arrived at the intersection and realized neither one of us knew which way to go.
We started down a trail which we knew neither had used and reached SR41 near Wawona.
- 1:30pm Arrived at an Oakhurst motel and got sideways looks from the desk clerk.
Showered. Shaved. Slept. Ate. PHEW!!!
Read about other adventures with my friends!